Thursday 13 July 2017

Part 13: New Magincia

I decided I wanted to get to the Time Lord sooner than later. To do that we have to obtain Alagner's notebook from New Magincia.

New Magincia is the town of humility. It is located on an island in southeast of Britannia:


The town of Magincia once stood on this same island. The town become a successful merchant hub, and as the people grew more prosperous they drifted further away from humility toward pride. Their immense wealth and pride ultimately drew the attention of a horde of demons who slew almost everyone in Magincia and smashed the city to rubble. New Magincia was built upon the haunted ruins of the old town during Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.

According to the shipwright Russell, there has been a shipwreck recently in New Magincia. Three men were rescued and are apparently from Buccaneer's Den. Interestingly, the ship the pirates sank on was built by none other than Owen of Minoc. His legacy apparently, lives beyond his death. The pirates want to return to Buccaneer's Den but don't have the funds to buy another ship.

We found Alagner, and he was as cunning and interesting as the wisps suggested. I asked him about his notebook, which he told me is hidden in a safe place. I am allowed to borrow it provided I show Alagner "proof of my eagerness to learn the true knowledge of the world". He wants me to find the answers to the questions of life and death - and to know this I must talk to The Tortured One in Skara Brae. Everyone in Skara Brae is apparently dead, which is not how it was the last time I was in Britannia.

Alagner had a lot to say about the state of Britannia. He sees the people becoming careless and lazy, not seeking true knowledge, and not respecting their land or each other. He suspects this evil is not within the people themselves but being imposed from an outside source - which matches my own theories about The Fellowship and the Guardian. In fact, his notebook contains evidence against The Fellowship. I am looking forward to reading it once I return from Skara Brae. Alagner's workshop is a large building below his house. We will wait until we have permission before entering it.

The three pirates (Robin, Leavell, and Battles) have been convincing a young lady Constance to return with them to Buccaneer's Den. Constance was in love with Henry but had her heart broken when she learned he was a 'liar and a cad'. Henry says the problem started when he promised Constance a locket which his friend (and my old companion) Katrina had given him. Henry, of course, lost the locket. Not surprisingly he noticed he lost the locket after speaking with the pirates. I agreed to help him look for it.

At The Modest Damsel (the local pub) Dupre had an unpaid debt of 74 gold. So I had to bail him out. Classic Dupre.


Robin, the leader of the pirates, had some interesting things to say. He offered me wealth if I was to bring them to Buccaneer's Den. He also asked me to bring him the missing locket when I find it. Robin had stolen the locket but lost it himself. He doesn't want to return it to Henry, he wants to sell it for money. Battles mentioned Robin had it at the Modest Damsel. I asked the barkeep Boris about it and he admitted he found the locket - but when he goes to collect it from his secret stash it is gone again. Eventually I track it down with Boris's wife Magenta (the mayor) and she returns it.

I decided to stir the pot and took the locket back to Robin and the pirates. He told me his plans to take Constance with them to Buccaneer's Den - to sell as a slave in the baths. When we declined to take him on the boat the three pirates attacked us and we had to put them out of their misery.


I returned the locket to Henry and told Constance what happened. Another case closed.

Next time we will travel to the haunted island and town of Skara Brae which will be quite a different experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment