Sunday 9 July 2017

Part 5: Exploring Britain

We made a bit of money selling gems that we had collected from the Isle of Fire to the jeweller, Sean. There's lots of ways to make money in Britain including baking bread, or collecting mutton or eggs. I find the fastest way is collecting gems and gold while adventuring.

Most towns have a local "problem" to solve. For Cove, it's Nastassia's depression and figuring out what happened to her father. In Britain there are a lot of things going on:

  • Patterson is the mayor but there is a sense that Brownie (a vegetable farmer) should be the mayor instead. Brownie apparently knows a secret about Patterson - and I already know from what's been said Patterson is having an affair with the woman who runs the museum, Candice. I followed Patterson around at night to see where he would go. Did you know Patterson and Judith (his wife) take three hours to eat their meal which consisted of one bread roll and a bunch of grapes? Then at 9 PM he went to a Fellowship meeting which was like watching a cult for three more hours until midnight... Finally, I followed them both to Candice's house where they were about to engage in some hanky panky. Naturally, I intervened and confronted Patterson who was immensely anxious and defensive. He admits defeat and promises to sort things out with Candice and his wife.
  • There's marriage difficulty between James, the Innkeeper, and Cynthia who runs the mint. James hates his job and fears she is not happy with his low status and income. Turns out she loves him plenty, no big deal.
  • There is a love triangle between Charles, a servant in the castle; Jeanette at the Blue Boar tavern; and Willy, the baker. Jeannette likes Willy, Charles likes Jeanette. Willy isn't interested in Jeanette but has a thing for Gaye the clothier! I managed to get Jeanette and Charles aiming at each other - Gaye is only interested in The Fellowship (yawn).
  • Weston is a citizen of Paws jailed for stealing an apple. He was trying to get food for his starving family, and asks me to go to Lord British to speak on his behalf. Lord British says he never approved the arrest and sets Weston free.
  • Greg the provisioner mentioned someone is out there pretending to be the Avatar. Snaz said Sullivan the Trickster looks like me - they could be one in the same.
  • Raymundo who heads up the Royal Theatre wants me to act in a play in the role of the Avatar. He asked me to go Gaye's clothiers and get an Avatar costume. I auditioned - and he said he would 'call me'. Go figure.
  • Carrocio who runs the puppet show has a thing for Nell... there is a hell of a lot of romance and desire in this city.
There is also another companion I forgot about until I stumbled upon him. Sentri is a warrior and trainer based in Britain and agrees to join the party. He even offers training for free once he is in the party.



And so the party is now six. In terms of the main story arch:
  • Clint the shipwright is certain the Crown Jewel never came to Britain. The hooked man suspected of killing Christopher must have gone somewhere else. I found a note locked away in the Fellowship building talking about stashing something made of blackrock in the hull of the Crown Jewel.
  • Patterson (the mayor) remembers a ritualistic murder, like the one in Trinsic, that occurred in Britain only a few months back. A man named Finster who was running for public office was killed. The place he was killed was taken down, and no-one was ever arrested. Finster spoke out against The Fellowship.
  • Batlin, the leader of The Fellowship mentions that Elizabeth and Abraham just left for Minoc this morning. He informs me that they deal with the collection and distribution of funds. I know I will need to join and infiltrate The Fellowship at some point if I am to uncover what they are up to - so I decided to take the 'test' which involved answering a series of painfully constructed questions where both of the provided answers led to the same conclusion. I passed the 'test' (well failed, which is apparently why I need The Fellowship) but Batlin requires me to complete some tasks to prove my worthiness. The first task is to deliver a sealed package to Elynor, the Fellowship leader in Minoc.
We waited until night to do our dark work.

Firstly, because Candice was in the Fellowship meeting I went to the museum and took the eight virtue stones which allow you to mark a location in the world, and then recall to that place by casting spells on the stones.

Next, we robbed a bank. The mint of Britain is full of gold. Gold bars, gold nuggets, gold coins. Cynthia runs the mint and has a set of keys that let you access all of that tempting gold. The only problem is, the only way to get it is to kill her. So... what I did was wait until night, kill her in her sleep - and take the keys. 



The town guards ran and attacked us and we had to fight them off as I led them out of town. Then I got Jaana to resurrect Cynthia and pretended nothing ever happened...

We then stripped the mint of everything there. There's well over 1,000 gold to take.


The most beautiful part about the whole heist? The next day I went to the mint and sold all the gold bars and nuggets back to Cynthia for coin.


With around 2,000 gold on us I took trips back to Cove for more magic spells, and to Serpent's Hold for more training before continuing our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment